Thursday, July 19, 2012

An Introduction

Our betta fish -  Lord Finnius  


When I was ten years old, I asked my mom if we could have a fish. At the time, we had two cats, which I love dearly, but I’d always been fascinated by fish. I wanted to know what it would be like to have one as a pet. She said, “If you want another pet, I want you to do some research to learn more about them. I want you to tell me how to take care of them, and the costs involved so we can make an informed decision.” That began my journey into the world of fish and I’ve been a sucker for them ever since.


I created this blog to share the extensive research I uncovered, for other fish enthusiasts interested in adding them to their own family environment. I will cover information about different breeds, kinds of habitats, the pros and cons of fresh versus salt water fish, as well as information to help you choose a fish that fits best in your home and within your family’s budget. Plus, I will include what I discovered about how to properly care for them, as well as share tidbits from our own personal experience as caretakers. 



In addition, I will also talk about unusual types of fish and a variety of aquarium environments, from a simple traditional fish bowl to more elaborate specialized homesteads. Take, for example, the environment of the photo above. It certainly takes brushing your teeth to a whole new level!


I’ll also touch on the safety hazards of both poisonous and nonpoisonous species, as some fish enthusiasts prefer unique marine life, like this cute little rascal pictured above, or the more exotic and dangerous species, like piranhas, sharks and other unique aquatic animals like the one pictured below. 


Finally, I will give a brief summary of how to care for fish, which includes types of diseases, prevention, medicine, kinds of food, water treatment and of course the right filtration system for the size of the aquarium and how to choose one that works best for your family’s situation.


So if you are a big fan of fish, like me, I hope you find the information you need here to help you on your journey into the world of aquatic animals and the wonderful personalities you will encounter in this underwater universe.

Until next time … happy fishing!




14 comments:

  1. Great Job! Love this blog! So glad you decided to share what you learned. The photos are great! Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wouldn't have done it without you!

      Delete
  2. Dear Ciera,

    I love your blog, especially the picture of the pink fish. That is the kind of fish I would like to have. I am looking forward to more posts about the fish world as I love the ocean and the beach.

    :)

    ivonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty sure that's a baby salamander. Very cute. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ciera,
    This was so informative & colorful. You have a knack for this already! Keep up the great work.
    Thea Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother is a huge fish fan. He has two tanks up and running at the moment. I'll suggest your blog to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Grace. I'm happy I can help and also share what I learned with others.

      Delete
  5. I love the pictures. I like how beautiful the pictures look. Looking forward to more post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback!

      Delete
  6. Nice blog! Hope to hear more soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I just posted a new one about different breeds for beginners.

      Delete
  7. Thanks! Summer classes were fun! I enjoyed the experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete